As we know, the lifespan of LED is closely related to the environment and LED screen maintenance.
Summer is a hot and rainy season. For outdoor LED displays, how to maintain it and prolong its lifespan?
In this article, we will discuss more detailed methods for more concrete situations which you will definitely meet – the steps you can adopt to maintain the screen on rainy days and hot weather. If you read this through, we believe you can get some practical ideas.
1. LED Screen Maintenance in Hot Weather
1.1. How Prolonged Heat Affect Your LED Display Screen
According to some researches, the lifespan of many LED products will be shortened significantly by prolonged heat, and it will cause degradation of the components. There is specific damage the heat may cause to your LED display screens.
⑴ Wavelength drift: according to some data, the wavelength changes by 0.2 to 0.3nm when temperature changing per degree. And this may result in problems in color correction.
⑵ Lower the light output: the output brightness will change with the variation by every degree Celsius, and the influence is most obvious for the red light.
For instance, the rate of brightness is 180% when the temperature at -40°C while only less than 50% when the ambient temperature is at 120°C.
However, the temperature dependence is much less for blue, green and white, thus the sync changes happen in different color may cause display problem when temperature increasing.
⑶ Shorten the life span: some researches have revealed the increase in the junction temperature of LED will shorter the service life. For example. When the temperature rises from 63°C to 74°C, the working life of the subject is shortened from 36,000 hours to 16,000 hours.
⑷ Waste energy: it may cause unwanted energy waste, possibly leading to increasing operation costs.
Generally, the system manufacture should incorporate appropriate heat sinking and other compensatory mechanisms, and suggest the permissible operating temperature for operation.
However, there are still practical methods for you to take to prolong your LED display screens’ life span and to higher the light output.
1.2. How to Handle Heat Dissipation
There are some feasible ways to handle the excess heat for your LED display panels. Some of them can be easy to take and the rest may need to consult with your sales team.
⑴ Investing in a fan. This can be the cheapest way of dispelling the excess heat of your LED panel board.
⑵ Using aluminum fins as a helper to enlarge the dissipation area. This method can be an effective way of improving the efficiency of heat sinking. If you don’t know how to install it, ask your seller for advice.
⑶ Integrating the heat conduction and heat dissipation. For example, soldering the LED chip by high thermal conductivity ceramics to improve the heat resistance.
⑷ Using a heat pipe. The heat pipe can guide the heat from the LED display chip to the fins, which can be one of your effective choices.
⑸ Utilizing the air-fluid mechanics. The shape of the lamp installed in the LED display screen may create convective air then serve as a cooling option.
⑹ Next is applying radiator paint. If you apply it on the lamp shell, the paint would radiate the heat from the surface to protect your screen from excessive heat.
⑺ Last but not least, you can improve the heat-conducting and heat-dissipating abilities of the plastic shell, meaning there may be some special materials fill in the plastic shell to prevent heat during the injection molding.
There are some tips for you to handle heat dissipation. No doubt it is necessary for us to know some useful methods to deal with it.
2. Methods Applied in Rainy Days
This chapter will discuss some tips for you to take on rainy days to ensure the stable performances of your indoor LED display or outdoor LED display.
2.1. Tips for Indoor LED Screen Maintenance
Though the humidity in the indoor room is less than outside, it doesn’t mean there is no need for preventing unwanted situations bringing by humidity especially in the rainy season. There is some advice we believe can help you.
⑴ The ventilation can dispel the water vapor that attaches to the display and reduce the surrounding humidity. However, please don’t ventilate your LED display in windless and humid weather.
⑵ Putting some dehumidifier in your room. This can help you decrease the moisture in your room so as to avoid the moisture penetrate your LED lamps.
⑶ Using devices such as air conditioning to dehumidify the environment. And a routine check of the display is necessary, too.
2.2. Tips for Outdoor LED Screen Maintenance
As the environment can be more severe than indoor, the methods can be more difficult to practice. However, preventing the damage bringing by water is an inevitable issue for outdoor LED display screens, so let us begin.
⑴ Choose the right IP rating for your screens. Generally, IP65 can be enough for your outdoor LED display panel on most rainy days. What is still should be highlighted is that for some areas where have accumulated water, the protection rating may have different standards. You can ask the LED display companies for the recommended level.
⑵ Prevent falling of your LED display boards hanging on high. It is important to choose professional teams to install your outdoor LED screen. Besides, add safe ropes for every module. And the security check is vital, too.
⑶ Pay attention to lightning protection. If your LED panel board is attacked by lightning, it will be destructive to your screen. Thus a lightning rod and other protection devices are essential. Besides, the earth wire should connect with the cabinet, and lightning protectors are vital for the power cable and the signal line.
⑷ Sealed installation can reduce the possibility of water entering then hurting the components. Moreover, clean the surface regularly to wipe out the dust can reduce cohesive water vapor.
3. LED Screen Maintenance in Summer
Outdoor and semi-outdoor LED displays in high temperatures and high humidity are easy to have bad problems.
So in summer, for the maintenance of outdoor LED displays, what problems should be noted?
1. It is recommended that the LED display screen rest time is greater than 2 hours a day, in the rainy season MAPP LED screen at least once a week to use more than once. Generally, at least once a month open the screen, and light up for more than 2 hours.
2. For outdoor LED display, due to wind, rain, lightning, electricity, and other natural factors caused by damage, is not under warranty. Owners need to insure with the insurance company, and the insurance company will pay for the damage.
3. Don’t use it in bad natural conditions, especially in strong thunder and lightning weather.
4, Don’t play for a long time in all white, all red, all green, all blue, and other full-bright screens, so as not to cause excessive current, power cord heating, LED lamp damage, affecting the service life of the display. Do not disassemble or splice the screen.
5. To regularly check the outdoor LED display need to work properly, the line has no damage, and timely replacement or repair of damaged lines, to maintain the normal operation of the large screen.
6. Outdoor LED screen main control computer and other related equipment, should be placed in the air-conditioned, dusty room, to ensure that the computer ventilation and heat dissipation and stable work.
Summer rainstorms are more, if the display into the water, then it is necessary to the fastest speed with a fan or other tools will be into the water LED display screen body completely blow dry.
Second, the screen will be completely blown dry after power aging, the specific steps are as follows:
(1) Adjust the brightness (full white) to 10%, power aging 8-12 hours.
(2) The brightness (full white) to 30%, power aging 12 hours.
(3) Adjust the brightness (all white) to 60%, power aging 12-24 hours.
(4)Adjust the brightness (all white) to 80%, power aging 12-24 hours.
(5) Adjust the brightness (all white) to 100%, power aging 8-12 hours.
Completion of the above steps, the LED display screen will be basically back to normal, but in the process of handling the following precautions:
1. In the discovery of the warehouse into the water or LED display screen in the water, it should be urgent to make its treatment, do not delay.
2. The organization of water into the LED display screen body blow-drying treatment.
3. Don’t put the LED display screen has been into the water into the flight case, so it is easy to LED light boring bad.
4. In the warehouse into the water, the flight case is likely to be in the water, should be all the flight case for the sun, to prevent the water volatilization in the case after loading the body into the LED display screen.
5. All the water into the LED display screen is not timely treatment may be more or less affect the stability of the screen, in the process of doing emergency treatment, the screen may occur after powering on the phenomenon of constantly dead lights, which requires manufacturers to pay attention to observe at any time.
6, All water into the LED display screen in the flight case. More than 72 hours, the screen is basically no repair value, need to be handled with caution.
3. The Bottom Line
Now we have discussed LED screen maintenance methods you can take in summer to enable the stable performance of your LED display screen and the damages may be caused if we don’t take care of them. For more information about LED display screen, welcome to contact us!